Looking for ways to change IMEI number of your smartphone?? Well, there are many ways that you can find all over the internet but most of them will require you to root your device before changing the IMEI number. In this article, we have listed a few methods on How to change IMEI number without rooting the smartphone. But before that, you shall know what an IMEI number actually is, and how it can help you in various situations.
What is IMEI Number?
The 15 digit International Mobile station Equipment Identity (IMEI) number is usually a series of numbers, in which the first eight digits specify your device’s ORIGIN and it’s MODEL and the last six digits recognize the MANUFACTURER of the device, you might find it printed inside the battery compartment of the phone, you can also find it on your phone screen by dialing *#06# on the dial pad.
Losing phones while walking, in a metro and in so many other places is normal nowadays, all our personal data can be violated if someone steals our phone but if you know your IMEI NUMBER, you can block your lost or stolen devices from being used further, You just have to call your network provider and instruct them to blacklist the phone using this IMEI number, after this the phone is declared useless on that network and notifies other carriers too.
So Primarily, it identifies your device. Secondarily, it protects all your data even after your phone’s lost or stolen. Thirdly, it’s used for locating and tracking.
Hmm, so let me now explain the methods to change IMEI number !!
How to Change IMEI Number Without Rooting
There are various free methods using which you can your IMEI number. We are listing 3 easy methods that can help you change IMEI number in just a few minutes.
Change IMEI number by Factory Reset
The first method usually doesn’t work with all the smartphones, however, you can give it a try as it doesn’t require you to install any app. You just have to follow a set of given steps.
To change IMEI number without rooting just make sure you have backed up all your data as this will remove everything from your device.
1. Open your Android device’s Settings module.
2. Find Backup & Reset and tap on it.
3. On the next menu, find Factory Data Reset and tap on it.
4. You will then get a notification. Click on Create new (random) Android ID.
Once you do that, the IMEI will be changed.
It may not work with many new smartphones.
Anyways, we have got more methods !!
How to Change Smartphone IMEI Number using Mobile Uncle App
Here’s a simple method;
- Download the Mobile Uncle App. It may not be available on Play store since changing IMEI is something that is not legal.
- Open the app and select Engineer Mode > Engineer Mode (MTK).
- Now scroll your screen from RIGHT to LEFT side, You’ll see CONNECTIVITY as the Option menu.
- Click on CDS Information. Select RADIO INFORMATION
- Select the sim whose IMEI you want to change. [ Phone 1 is Sim 1, Phone 2 is Sim 2 ]
- After selecting the Sim, You’ll see an option like AT+
- Now, enter AT+ <15 digit new IMEI> (for eg- AT+ 123456789012345 )
- Click on SEND AT COMMAND
- Restart your Device and you will get your new IMEI for your Android device.
You can also Backup your IMEI to your SDCard before changing it. The app also allows you to restore to default or previous IMEI number from the backup you create.
Here’s a snap showing the procedure to backup and restore IMEI Number.
Hope this app solves your query.
Change IMEI number using XPOSED IMEI CHANGER
Another app that you can use is XPOSED. Here’s a step by step process on how to use XPOSED to change your IMEI number.
Before starting, Dial *#06# on your phone to get the real IMEI number of your device. Note your current IMEI number somewhere as you won’t be able to find after changing it. Once done you can follow the steps given below;
- Download the app from play store.
- Open the app and go to Xposed> Modules
- Tick/Select on IMEI Changer Apk as Module.
- Restart your Device.
- After Restart, you will get your original IMEI number & Current IMEI number.
- Now, enter new IMEI Number in NEW IMEI NUMBER box.
- Tap on Apply.
- Restart your device again to set this new IMEI.
- Check again and you will get your new IMEI.
This is a very easy method and I’m sure you won’t be facing any difficulties.
How to Change IMEI without Rooting using MTK Engineering Mode
One last app in our list is MTK Engineering mode. Like others It’s also a free app that will help you change IMEI number without rooting the phone.
This app was specifically made for Taiwanese device manufacturers such as Tecno, Infinix, Elephone, Oppo, Chuwi etc. While not fully recommended, there have been reports that it works with all Android devices made by non-Taiwanese manufacturers. It’s clean interface makes navigating the app seamlessly.
- Download the app from the play store.
The app is exactly similar to Mobile Uncle App that we mentioned above. You have to follow the same steps to change IMEI number using this app as well.
Reasons to Change IMEI number
- By changing your IMEI number you can get rid of all the people who might be stalking you.
- It provides your device a complete new identity.
- If you have an old device changing the IMEI no. will indicate it as a newer model and it may get the newest updates.
- It is illegal in many countries.
- It can damage your device as the IMEI no. is hard coded in your device.
- By changing the IMEI number you sanction your ownership of the device.
The IMEI can be changed without rooting quite easily by using various apps and other simpler methods but always remember that it’s illegal to change it and it gives your phone altogether a new identity. We do not recommend you to change your IMEI number, you can always try it for educational or experimental purposes.