We’ve all encountered a computer virus at some point in our lives. These pesky lines of codes have brought down many systems and breached a lot of privacy. Thankfully, antiviruses were invented and just like their biological counter part , are good at detecting and deleting malware.
If you’re in the market for an effective antivirus, you’ve come to the right place. Here, we’ll look at two of the most popular antiviruses and pit them against each other. Want to know what Avira vs Avast is like? Well look no further.
- 1 What is Avast Antivirus?
- 2 What is Avira Antivirus?
- 3 Avira vs Avast
- 4 Final Thoughts
What is Avast Antivirus?
Avast Antivirus is a software developed by Avast. It is compatible with almost all of the modern operating systems. It provides computer security as well as cyber security.
There are different versions of this software, depending on what your needs are. We will be listing the features of the Free, Pro, Internet Security, Premier and Ultimate versions.
Avast Free Antivirus
This version, like the name would suggest, is free to use. It provides real-time virus, malware and spyware protection. You can also create a bootable rescue disk if you want to catch a virus before it even has a chance of counteracting. It also comes with a silent/gaming mode to help you manage notifications. The standalone web browser provided is also impressive and you can also use the plug-in for other browsers. The free version also lets you secure your passwords and credit cards under a master password. It can clean up junk files and detect outdated applications. It let’s you scan your network for vulnerabilities and potential security threats. Avast can also scan your e-mail and inform you about suspicious ones in your inbox. Finally it provides 30-day trial version of a VPN software, so that you can browse more securely and privately.
This version comes with an extra Real Site feature. This protects you from hackers that try to hijack your router’s DNS and ensures you end up at the website you meant to. A Sandbox is also provided so that you can run any malicious app in a separate environment.
Avast Internet Security
This adds a an advanced firewall and a ransomware protection to the Pro version.
Even a deleted file isn’t completely gone from a PC. Avast includes a file shredder to make sure your sensitive files are completely gone. It also adds an option to prevent webcam spying and update software automatically.
This version is the best Avast provides. It includes all the features mentioned above and also adds its premium versions of cleanup and password protection. Finally it gives you the SecureLine VPN.
Unique Avast Features
Since this is Avira vs Avast, we will be listing the unique features with respect to Avira.
- Avast SafeZone browser provides you with the best security and protects you from phishing attacks.
- Silent/Gaming mode is very useful if you don’t want notifications to keep popping up.
- The included WiFi Inspector is the best at securing home networks.
- Its password security can also suggest new and more secure passwords.
- Avast SecureLine VPN Ensures a private browsing experience and access to restricted websites in your region.
Avast User Interface
The interface looks very sleek and modern with its dark theme. The orange highlights are a standout when it comes to looks. It is easy to navigate and if any suspicious activity is detected, it’s highlighted with a red color.
Avast is undeniably light on the system. But compared to Avira, it falls behind by a small margin.
Avast System Requirements
- Operating system Microsoft: Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 SP1 or higher / Vista / XP SP2 or higher (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
- Processor: Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 or above
- Memory: 256 MB RAM memory or above
- Hard disk: 1.5 GB of free hard disk space
- Please note that Avast antivirus 2016 (version 11) won’t work on Microsoft Windows 95 / 98 / ME / 2000 / Server, or any other operating system which isn’t specified above
- These system requirements are relevant for all Avast core products (Free Antivirus, Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, and Premier)
What is Avira Antivirus?
Avira Antivirus software helps protect your PC against all sources of malware and hacking attempts. They also ensure a safe browsing space.
We are going to look at all the different versions of Avira, namely: Avira Free Security Suite, Pro, Internet Security Suite and Prime.
Avira Free Security Suite
This free version includes all the necessities like virus protection, malware protection and spyware protection. It also gives you an option to create a bootable rescue disk to make sure your system is entirely protected. An starter-kit of a cleanup option is also available along with a VPN that gives you 500 MB per month for free. Two browser plug-ins named SafeSearch Plus and SafeShopping. They can block any suspicious sites.
This version gives you all the above features while adding a lot more features. They add features like scanning your home networks, a premium customer care support. It can now also scan for potential e-mail threats and firewall control, which is very useful.
Avira Internet security
It contains all the features mentioned above but also updates the firewall for added security.
This is the best version of Avira available. Along with the features listed above, it provides you with all the mobile security apps for both iOS and android. It also lets you optimize your PC for smoother performance. Also, all the future products by Avira will be given to you for free.
Unique Avira Features
Again, since this is Avira vs Avast, we will be listing comparatively unique features.
- Safe Shopping and SafeSearch Plus are great tools to have.
- Experts market is important if you have the free version of the software. This is a forum where you can ask other users for help as the customer care is only available for Pro version and above.
- Do Not Track Plus blocks ads and decreases the chances of websites tracking you.
- The Phantom VPN allows you to securely access the web and give you unrestricted access.
Avira User Interface
Avira has a light themed user interface. It’s easier on the eyes than the previous iterations but the layout can be a little confusing sometimes. It’s good, but not intuitive enough.
Avast is a little bit slower compared to Avira because Avira is very light on system resources.
Avira system requirements
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 SP1 or higher with the newest updates, hotfixes, and service packs installed(any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
- Processor: AMD Ab Athlon 64/Intel Pentium 4 (Desktop) or Pentium M (Laptop)
- Memory: 2 GB+ RAM
- Hard Disk: 2 GB+ available disk space (additional temporary and quarantine space needed)
- Browser: Internet Explorer 8 or higher
Avira vs Avast
It’s time for the final showdown. We are going to compare security, features, user interface, performance and value each product is worth to determine the winner.
- Security: Both products provide excellent security against malware and other threats. But independent testing has shown that Avast is better at being an antivirus while having a lower false positive rate.
- Features: Avira has a lot of features but Avast is on a completely different level when it comes to this. It completely blows Avira out of the water when it comes to the free version.
- User Interface: Avira is good but feels unpolished compared to Avast.
- Performance: Avira takes the win when it comes to using the system resources. Avast isn’t far behind but it’s a little more heavier.
- Value: Avast costs a little more than Avira. But i feel the price is justified for the features received.
It was very close but I would recommend Avast. It is a little bit more expensive but offers great value. On the other hand, if you want the mobile device protection by Avira, I’d say go for it. Even though it lost, it is no slouch.